Me, My Car, My Travel Mug - A Trip Report
I'm back in the hot, humid city after a few glorious days of cool fresh air along the east coast of New Brunswick and the St. Lawrence. There's so much to report! Here are some of the highlights (be warned, it's a bit long) ...
Savoie Family Reunion
Although the weather didn't cooperate much, we got just enough clear skies to stargaze and walk on the beach. When it rained, we simply made due by dancing in the garage, hopping from one trailer awning to another (a.k.a. awning-hopping), sipping coffee inside the campers, looking at old pictures and storytelling. Each year I discover something new about my relatives ... this year I found out that a few of them recorded an LP for $3 way back when. Who knew!
Miscou Island, NB
This is a little piece of Heaven. Here's a map of the northeastern tip of NB. The reunion was in Tabusintac, about halfway between Miramichi and Tracadie-Sheila. On my way back to Ottawa, I drove all the way up the coast to the very tip of Miscou Island, at the end of road #113. The unspoiled beach, the sound of the waves rolling in and the salty air were intoxicating. I spent almost two hours there; I didn't want to leave.
Note: if you scroll down the map just a little below Miramichi, you'll see Saint-Louis-de-Kent. That's where I grew up. :)
Ferry to Quebec's North Shore and Charlevoix Region, QC
On Day 2 of my return trip, on a whim, I decided to take the ferry that crosses the St. Lawrence from Rivière-du-Loup on Quebec's south shore, to St-Siméon on the north shore, located in the Charlevoix region. What a treat. During the 65-minute ferry ride I saw seabirds, Charlevoix's rugged coastline, and I even saw some whales! The drive through the Charlevoix region was just as stunning. I can't wait to go back. Maybe in the fall, or maybe even sooner ...
These are just a few honourable mentions from the past week. A solo trip has its challenges, but it also has its perks. I chose to follow my intuition where it wanted to take me, and there's something to be said about experiencing that type of freedom. For those few days it was just me, my car, and my travel mug.
Savoie Family Reunion
Although the weather didn't cooperate much, we got just enough clear skies to stargaze and walk on the beach. When it rained, we simply made due by dancing in the garage, hopping from one trailer awning to another (a.k.a. awning-hopping), sipping coffee inside the campers, looking at old pictures and storytelling. Each year I discover something new about my relatives ... this year I found out that a few of them recorded an LP for $3 way back when. Who knew!
Miscou Island, NB
This is a little piece of Heaven. Here's a map of the northeastern tip of NB. The reunion was in Tabusintac, about halfway between Miramichi and Tracadie-Sheila. On my way back to Ottawa, I drove all the way up the coast to the very tip of Miscou Island, at the end of road #113. The unspoiled beach, the sound of the waves rolling in and the salty air were intoxicating. I spent almost two hours there; I didn't want to leave.
Note: if you scroll down the map just a little below Miramichi, you'll see Saint-Louis-de-Kent. That's where I grew up. :)
Ferry to Quebec's North Shore and Charlevoix Region, QC
On Day 2 of my return trip, on a whim, I decided to take the ferry that crosses the St. Lawrence from Rivière-du-Loup on Quebec's south shore, to St-Siméon on the north shore, located in the Charlevoix region. What a treat. During the 65-minute ferry ride I saw seabirds, Charlevoix's rugged coastline, and I even saw some whales! The drive through the Charlevoix region was just as stunning. I can't wait to go back. Maybe in the fall, or maybe even sooner ...
These are just a few honourable mentions from the past week. A solo trip has its challenges, but it also has its perks. I chose to follow my intuition where it wanted to take me, and there's something to be said about experiencing that type of freedom. For those few days it was just me, my car, and my travel mug.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home